Hootsuite

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Judge Not

Judge not, that you be not judged.
                             –Jesus

I know what you are thinking. Yes, I have already judged you just like I judged that nameless person that was walking out of FoodsCo, right before I started writing this.
I have judged you because I think I know what you are thinking. Probably the same thing I would be thinking if I saw a blog post titled ‘Judge Not.’

Seeing the title, and considering I was a Christian, I might assume what it was about without reading IT. Ah! That cute little word ‘assume,’ a veritable sermon in itself, a silent little preacher hidden away in six typed letters.

Heck, as a ‘good’ Christian I might assume that this blog would be a tirade about how all 'those other people’ shouldn’t judge anyone, especially people we consider to be ‘outsiders’ of the church. Those other people that aren’t as kind, loving and Christ-like as us.

I might assume that this blog was about not judging other people’s churches because they sing, don’t sing, clap, don’t clap, or the ever more controversial, “Do they dunk or sprinkle?” The list goes on doesn’t it. But, none of us reading this do this. Do we?

Or, I might make the assumption, that this post is about ‘those’ religious, legalistic Christians, you know the ones with all ‘their’ rules and regulations. The ones who go around judging everyone else.
That ‘might’ be a good assumption, considering the hands typing this are held on by arms with tattoos of snakes, dragons and death’s-heads.

Or, better yet, since those arms are attached to a preacher, that this blog would be just another sermon about how we shouldn’t judge anybody no how, nowhere, and being so sure that sermon was only meant for other people and not us, we might pass it up.

     Perhaps, if you happen to be an unbeliever, atheist or just didn’t care one way or another about God, the universe, religion or anything else, you might pass it up as just another sign of how hypocritical those Christians really are.

But if you are reading this, you probably didn’t make any of those ASSUMPTIONS, or JUDGMENTS.
You be the judge.
The world needs more people like you.

No comments: