Hootsuite

Friday, June 24, 2011

God and Babies


God and Babies

"Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" Matthew 18:1
 (Jesus’ disciples asked this question) It wasn’t a religious doctrine question. It was a human question.
If their question didn’t “cut to the quick” of the matter the answer from Jesus did. Cut to the quick is when you trim your fingernail too short and it starts to bleed. You’ve cut into the flesh.

The disciples weren’t afraid to ask it, but I’m sure they were surprised, as they often were, when Jesus brought a little child in their midst. Then Jesus said unless you become like an infant you won’t enter the kingdom of heaven.
Farther on Jesus said that if you receive one ‘little’ child like this, you receive Him. Remember, He came to us as a helpless baby.
An infant doesn’t even think about that question “who’s great?”

Recently an infant has come into my life, I am 55 years old, little JoJo is 11 WEEKS old and up until we met I was baby adverse, meaning I felt uncomfortable holding, changing, feeding babies etc. All based on my own selfishness. I have raised my kids, the youngest is twenty-seven.

JoJo was stuck in a toxic environment lacking substantial nurture and peace. He had little chance of thriving. His natural options were limited. He didn’t have much of a chance.

Well, I can’t explain it but, I looked into the face of that infant and I saw GOD. (Not that he really was God, stay with me.) It was not a vision, I wasn’t planning on it, and the next thing I know, the baby cracked a smile and tears flooded my cheeks. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Not this way. (Remember Mike, you don’t do babies.)

Now, only a few weeks later, through a series of divine circumstances, I am the legal guardian of little JoJo. Without me he can do nothing. He cannot eat drink or clean himself. He cannot go anywhere without me. He loves me.
He doesn’t love me because I take care of him. His thoughts are probably not that sophisticated. The same day I met that little guy, he looked into my eyes and I could hear him say, “Save Me.” He didn’t look pitiful, he looked happy, like he knew what would happen.

This is what Jesus was saying, unless you be converted or literally changed back into a little infant, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. Now this means to live under his rule, reign and care.

Without Jesus I am living in a toxic environment without a chance of success. I need to put my helpless little self into his absolute care.
I need to be as dependent on God as JoJo is on me.
I need to worry less about if he will and just put myself in his hands.
I need to love God because He is, not for what he does.
My thoughts about greatness need to be simple or nonexistent.
Little JoJo is worried about nothing.
He is at peace in my care.
His only cry is “save me.”

Jesus said “anyone who welcomes a little child like this on My behalf is welcoming Me.”
That’s a pretty wild statement. Jesus made lots of them.
Once upon a time, God handed his helpless little SELF into frail human hands. One slip and the plan could have been over. He trusted us and therefore sealed the greatest relationship that could ever be. God and man.

“Save Me”

No comments: