Hootsuite

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Be Ye Holy for I Am Holy

Leviticus 11:44-45, 19:2, 1 Peter 1:15-16
When you read these verses, does the blood run down your spine or does your mind go numb? Do images of stuffy people in even stuffier dress, God bless them, fill your head? Does the word "holy" fill your heart with dread and bring you thoughts of never having an ounce of fun ever again?

I must admit that every time I heard this verse something switched to off or cruise control in my soul or my spirit I am not really sure which one. I said amen with everyone else in the congregation, my head bobbed up and down in agreement with the pastor as he preached it “hard”. I have even quoted it in some sermons I have preached, but I just couldn’t get my head or heart all the way around the idea of HOLY.
I want to try to not merely understand it, but be it. If God is God and He is, and he says to be Holy, what is stopping me? I have this urge inside of me driving me forward, at any cost, to be what God intended me to be. Completely whole, and completely holy.

2 comments:

Danny Eley said...

I have heard it said many times Holy means like no other. How can we be Holy (like no other) as God is Holy(like no other) Is this a reference to our life in the world? If it was wouldn't there be others Holy? I don't know I just know I want God to be proud of me. Great thoughts Padre thanks for doing what your supposed to be doing.....writing

In Search Of The Holy said...

I don't think anyone in the world could say "I am holy" least of all me, but I sincerely desire as you said to have God be proud of me. I have become willing to reorder and rearrange anything in my life that I might experience the fullness of fellowship with the High and Lofty One. This has become my quest and I hope I stay the course and don't let it die off into the everyday. So far, it has been an amazing journey and He has taken me places I have never been in Him. Peace